WAFL R2 & WAFLW R6 Wrap Up with Jacob Landsmeer - Thanks to The Left Bank

Monday, April 8, 2024 - 12:38 PM

A stunning seven goal haul from Jonathon Marsh has helped East Fremantle to the first win of their premiership defence, thrashing Claremont by 90 points at Revo Fitness Stadium on Saturday.

Five of Marsh’s majors came in a dominant first half, the Sharks with the first four goals of the match inside ten minutes to set the tone for the day, on their way to handing the Tigers their biggest WAFL league defeat in 16 seasons.

Both teams came off round one losses, heightening expectations for the round two clash played in warm conditions in Perth’s Western suburbs.

Bill Monaghan’s side welcomed back four premiership stars for the contest, with Luke English, Tom Joyce and McGuire cousins Ben and Reuben all named for their first game of the season.

East Fremantle’s midfield had been soundly beaten by Peel Thunder in round one and quickly setting about atoning for that effort, Milan Murdock and Tom Joyce brilliant in the clinches from the outset to give the Sharks first use out of the middle.

Brayden Lawler kicked the opening goal of the game inside two minutes after a terrific Josh Schoenfeld pass, Cody Leggett doubling the Sharks tally three minutes later with an accurate snap.

Key forwards Marsh and Reuben McGuire were also on the board within ten minutes, Claremont being made to pay for giving East Fremantle’s key playmakers too much space.

Claremont got on the scoreboard through West Love but a costly turnover handed Marsh his second major of the opening term, goals in time on to Jed Hagan and Schoenfeld giving East Fremantle seven first term goals and a 26 point quarter time lead.

Brynn Teakle was having an excellent battle with Ollie Eastland in the ruck, Matthew Jupp keeping Alec Waterman quiet in a typically dour defensive display.

Lennon Marlin and Jack Cleaver were providing run off half back, the second quarter more of a stalemate as the teams felt the effects of the heat, the mercury climbing to 34 degrees during the match.

It was Marsh who broke the scoring deadlock, producing a brilliant spin and goal off a step from 45 metres out to register his third goal of the game.

He had four moments later when a squaring Fraser Turner pass found the key forward sandwiched in a pack, hauling down a superb contested mark before kicking truly from 25 metres.

Marsh ended the half with a handful of goals, outmuscling Anthony Davis to mark and convert strongly for his fifth major before Reuben McGuire added another, giving the Sharks four goals for the term.

Just as impressively the Sharks kept Claremont goalless for the quarter to go in to half time with a 50 point lead, Monaghan’s men in complete control.

It was more of the same in the third term as Marsh this time set up his team mates rather than put the ball through the big sticks himself, Milan Murdock finishing truly with a right foot checkside before Jed Hagan got goal side of his opponent to boot another.

East Fremantle’s run and carry was proving too much for the Tigers, who simply couldn’t match the ball movement of their opponents in what became a lopsided contest.

While the third quarter was fairly tight on the scoreboard the Sharks had the game safely in their keeping and went on with the job in the final stanza, slamming on eight goals to two to win by 90 points.

Marsh shook off the effects of cramp to boot two more majors from tight angles at right full forward, giving him a career best seven in a best on ground performance.

Hagan also added another two goals to finish with four on the day, while Schoenfeld and Leggett each became multiple goalkickers in what was a powerful and ominous display from the reigning premiers.

Just about every East Fremantle player won their position on the day, a result that eradicates their -4-premiership points penalty handed to the club in the off-season by the WA Football Commission for a breach of Total Player Payments in 2022.

While Marsh was best afield there was no denying the impact of Murdock (30 disposals and 18 tackles) and Joyce (21 disposals) in midfield, while Luke English (31 disposals) and Kyle Baskerville (29) provided plenty of run.

Hagan showed why AFL recruiters continue to keep tabs on the talented 19 year old, booting 4.2 from 17 disposals while also playing a hand in several other Sharks goals.

Down back Lennon Marlin was superb with 25 disposals and 6 marks and even pushed forward to kick a goal in the last term, his first for the club.

Speaking to 91.3 Sport FM after the match, Marsh was pleased to record the first win of 2024 for the Sharks.

“It was disappointing last week; you want to start the season with a win. It was nice to rebound strongly with some experienced players coming back in to the team this week,” he said.

“I thought we produced a four quarter East Fremantle performance which is really pleasing.”

Having missed the club’s premiership due to injury last season, Marsh said his preparation for 2024 had set him up for a big season ahead.

“It was obviously disappointing (to miss the premiership) but I didn’t really have a pre-season last year, so my goal was just to have a really good pre-season, come back fit and hopefully the body holds up.

“Footy’s footy, injuries happen and I can’t dwell on it too much. It’s just nice to be out back playing with the boys again. That’s all the motivation I need.”

East Fremantle face West Coast at Mineral Resources Park on Sunday April 14th in round three, the match to commence at 10:30 AM.

Earlier a fast-finishing Colts side fell just short of a comeback win over Claremont, a six goal final term not enough as the Tigers won by 10 points.

Luke Urquhart was his side’s best player with 25 disposals and 3 goals, while ruckman Jye Sander had 19 disposals and 15 hitouts.

The Reserves suffered a 71 point defeat to Claremont, Josh Cripps continuing to push his claims for a league debut with 20 disposals and 13 hitouts, fellow ruck/forward Lachlan Blakiston also in the best players with 18 disposals and 36 hitouts.

East Fremantle’s WAFL Women’s side produced a clinical performance over Peel Thunder, keeping their opponents goalless in a 60 point win at Fremantle Oval.

The Thunder recorded just six behinds for the game as Sharks stalwarts Ashleigh Gomes (27 disposals) and Sharon Wong (21 disposals and 2 goals) produced dominant performances.

Chloe Reilly was also outstanding as she kicked 3.2 to go with 15 disposals, while Amber Kinane had 22 disposals and delivered the ball inside 50 six times.

Laura Catherine was dominant in the ruck with 11 disposals, 18 hitouts and a goal, a four-goal final term rounding out a resounding victory for the reigning premiers in warm conditions.

It rounded out an excellent day for the women’s program, with the Rogers Cup side winners by 36 points over Peel Thunder with Amy Thompson a standout with 3 goals.

Round seven sees the WAFLW side face West Perth on Friday night at Arena Joondalup in a battle between second and third, while the Rogers Cup side has a bye.